REVIEW: Taylor Swift’s THE ANTHOLOGY + Initial Reactions

At this point, I should just expect Miss Taylor Swift to always go the extra mile to overwork herself and surprise us with the results. The night of the release of The Tortured Poets Department, Taylor announced the double album (b-side album? TS12? TS11.5?), titled The Anthology. I have listened to each song in full, multiple times, and I am now ready to divulge my thoughts on each track one by one. [You can read my review and reactions to The Tortured Poets Department here.]

The Black Dog - Not sure how to describe this other than: a mix of Hits Different and Would’ve Could’ve Should’ve if it was a raw, downtempo ballad and sounded a little bit like Sweet Nothing. One of her best efforts at storytelling yet. [Rating: 4.5]

imgonnagetyouback - It’s very catchy, and the lyrical content reminds me of Olivia Rodrigo’s get him back! but if it was folk. This is definitely a contender with The Black Dog for my #1 spot on the album. [Rating: 4.5]

The Albatross - It’s cute! The strings remind me a lot of the lakes. The CD variant I pre-ordered was The Albatross version and while I am happy with that decision, I may go grab a copy of The Black Dog version at Target later. [Rating: 4]

Chloe or Sam or Sophia or Marcus - That title is a mouthful lol. I thought this song was about Matty but the “scarlet maroon” lyric, which is obviously referencing Midnights’ Maroon, is throwing me off. I like the up and down strumming part of the synth in the background, it’s probably my favorite part of the song. [Rating: 3.5]

How Did It End? - For her second Track 5, Taylor presents us the end of a relationship and the gossip that goes along with it in the form of a court case. The harmonies are just as gorgeous as So Long, London. While it has an interesting premise, it’s not one of my favorites from the album. [Rating: 3]

So High School - Right off the bat, this reminds me of Eyes Open and Foolish One on a sonic level. Sounds like something I might hear on a Beabadoobee album. It’s a cute indie rock love song, and it’s reminiscent of the Fearless and Speak Now eras. [Rating: 3.5]

I Hate It Here - I, too, hate social interaction. I liked the lyric about The Secret Garden as I have recently read it, but the lyric about racism was a bit jarring? Sonically it’s cute but nothing outstanding from the rest of the album. [Rating: 4]

thanK you aIMee - Another one that kind of reminds me of Foolish One, but it’s more so her vocals this time around. That aside, I love how this is simultaneously a subtle yet very loud Kim Kardashian diss track as well as a forgiveness and moving on anthem. Another one that’s reminiscent of Fearless and Speak Now. [Rating: 4]

I Look In People’s Windows - This is the first song where I can’t understand its meaning beyond literal. Yes, you’re looking in windows to see what you’re missing out on, but it’s doesn’t have much more depth than that as far as I can tell. It’s really short so it doesn’t give me a lot of time to process what’s going on. I like the beat and melodies, but this is probably my least favorite so far. [Rating: 3]

The Prophecy - I love the melodies of this one, and the lyrical content seems very mythological and magical. The “ooh”ing in the bridge reminds me a lot of High Infidelity— so much so that I spent the last five minutes trying to recall which Taylor Swift song that reminded me of. Definitely one I’m going to be relistening to quite a bit. [Rating: 4]

Cassandra - The melody of the verses reminds me of Lana Del Rey’s Candy Necklace. It’s I Did Something Bad and mad woman’s baby sister. Maybe one of the darkest tracks on the album? I don’t know but I really like the vibes. [Rating: 5]

Peter - The piano instantly reminded me of New Year’s Day. I like that this is a Peter Pan-themed song, in an adult Wendy’s point-of-view. However, it’s not a standout on the album for me. [Rating: 3.5]

The Bolter - An intimate yet cute song that focuses on childhood reflection, but the drowning lyric is so concerning?? Overall I like it, and I feel like it has the potential to be a big grower for me. [Rating: 4]

Robin - This was another song where I had to Google the meaning lol. I love how this feels like a prequel or prologue to Never Grow Up, and it's definitely a cute song, but it's not outstanding for me. [Rating: 3.5]

The Manuscript - I feel like this is another perfect album closer. It embodies acceptance, reflection, and longing for what could've been all at once. Very pretty yet bittersweet, I like it! [Rating: 4]

My Initial Rankings:
1. The Black Dog
2. Cassandra
3. imgonnagetyouback
4. I Hate It Here
5. The Albatross
6. thanK you aIMee
7. The Prophecy
8. The Bolter
9. So High School
10. The Manuscript
11. Chloe or Sam or Sophia or Marcus
12. Peter
13. Robin
14. How Did It End?
15. I Look In People’s Windows

Overall Thoughts - While I grew to enjoy The Anthology, I think I prefer The Tortured Poets Department over it as I have always been one to favor Taylor’s upbeat pop music over her downtempo folk or country. This one was polarizing, a bit harder for me to sit through and sit with as it focuses more on the lyricism than the production, which I don’t usually prefer in albums. It’s why I had to grow to love folklore and evermore, especially evermore, when they were first released and now they are two of my favorite albums. It’s why it took me a long time to understand and get into Phoebe Bridgers, Gracie Abrams, and other indie folk artists whose primary forte is songwriting over production. I had to listen to each track multiple times before I finally understood them for what they are. That said, I feel like both albums are great entries into Taylor’s discography and I’m excited to listen again!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Disappearance of Mekayla Bali

Ace Attorney Investigations Collection, and the Future of Ace Attorney

REVIEW: Eternals