REVIEW: A Language of Dragons by S.F. Williamson

I have received an Advance Reader's Copy of this book through the publisher. This has not affected my rating or review in any way.

Thank you to HarperCollins for sending me an Advance Reader’s Copy of A Language of Dragons!

S.F. Williamson's A Language of Dragons was sold to me as a young adult dragon-world romantasy about linguistics, and I love romantasy, dragons, and linguistics. I thought this would be my dream culmination of interests in one book, but unfortunately this didn't work out for me.

Honestly, I had most of the same problems that other reviewers who gave this book low ratings have stated. I feel that A Language of Dragons was misleadingly targeted at romantasy fans who enjoyed the adult novels Babel and Fourth Wing when it's very much written for a younger teen and tween audience. We started off with great pacing, twists, and suspense, but started to lose steam around chapter five or six. Vivien was a very annoying main character from the get-go, having haughty, stubborn, immature pick-me vibes. The other characters weren't much better, and the spotlight shining too brightly on the annoying drama between Vivien and her former best friend-turned-rival Sophie was the crux of me not finishing this book. In fact, the plot focused too heavily on the high school-level drama between all of the kids and their puppy crushes over the war plot and fantasy elements. Also, the government relying on a group of criminal kids could've worked, but you can blatantly tell it wasn't very well thought out.

Overall, this was not what I expected it to be and I'm really disappointed. This might've worked for a younger teen or middle grade reader, but older audiences will likely feel the same as me.

A Language of Dragons by S.F. Williamson will be available on January 2nd, 2025.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Disappearance of Mekayla Bali

What Went Wrong with Chibnall’s Era of Doctor Who

REVIEW: Doctor Who: Series Fifteen