REVIEW: The Bridge Kingdom by Danielle L. Jensen

I have received an Advance Reader's Copy of this book through the publisher. This has not affected my rating or review in any way.

Thank you to Random House for sending me an Advance Reader’s Copy of The Bridge Kingdom!

Danielle L. Jensen's The Bridge Kingdom follows the last living princess of Maridrina, Lara, as she is arranged to marry the elusive king of Ithicana, Aren. However, from a very young age Lara has been training under her cruel father the king to become a warrior and spy for her kingdom. With her true mission to take down Ithicana from the inside to help prosper Maridrina, Lara doesn't expect to begin falling for her arranged husband and learn new truths about her kingdom that cause her to question everything she's ever known.

In theory, I should've loved The Bridge Kingdom. All of the tropes I love are present; there's an arranged marriage, enemies to lovers, and political intrigue. Plus, the main character is a spy, and I love an espionage story. This truly should've been right up my alley.

In reality, this was just so... meh.

For an adult novel, the writing was very young adult--bordering on teen. I understand that this Danielle L. Jensen's debut, but I was expecting a much stronger story for what was advertised. Instead, this book was just a lot of political plotting and planning and more plotting and planning and then talking about plotting and planning. Nothing ever truly happened until about the second-to-last chapter. This, unfortunately, made for a very boring reading experience.

On top of that, for being a trained assassin, Lara instead felt like such a spoiled teenager. Her actions throughout the book constantly swung back and forth between this calculated badass spy and whiny irritating princess, which was really annoying to read about. Aren, on the other hand, was basically Bland Main Male Character #412. Nothing about him was intriguing or compelling, and at times he felt like an immature teenager as well. I guess you could say those two are a perfect match, then?

Despite this, the story ended on an intriguing note. I'll possibly pick up the next one, but I'm in no rush. I give The Bridge Kingdom 3 out of 5 stars.

The Bridge Kingdom by Danielle L. Jensen will be available on October 15th, 2024.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Disappearance of Mekayla Bali

What Went Wrong with Chibnall’s Era of Doctor Who

REVIEW: Doctor Who: Series Fifteen